BRE and Loughborough University have completed the first phase of a new ‘dementia-friendly’ demonstration home at BRE’s Watford Innovation Park.
The intention is to educate housebuilders, carers and relatives on how to better support those who live with dementia.
The design principles include:
- Clear lines of sight and colour-coded paths through the home that help guide people towards each specific room
- Increased natural lighting, which is proven to help people stay alert during the day and to sleep better at night
- Automatically controlled natural ventilation to provide good indoor air quality
- Noise reduction features, to reduce stress
- Simple switches and heating controls, and safety sensors in high risk areas such as the kitchen
- Homely, simple and familiar interior design to help promote rest and relaxation
You can read more here.