HSE have provided health and safety guidance on the risks of lone working. The information leaflet is aimed at those who employ or engage lone workers or self-employed people who work alone.
- Is it legal to work alone and is it safe?
- Who are lone workers and what jobs do they do?
- How must employers control the risks?
- What must employers consult on?
- Which particular problems affect lone workers?
- Can one person adequately control the risks of the job?
- If a person has a medical condition are they able to work alone?
- Why is training particularly important for lone workers?
- How will the person be supervised?
- What happens if a person becomes ill, has an accident, or there is an emergency?