The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government has opened a consultation seeking views on the draft revisions to the National Planning Policy Framework and the draft National Model Design Code.
The Framework is not yet going to be renewed in its entirety and a fuller review is likely to be required in due course. However, this consultation seeks views on the revised text to implement policy changes in response to the Building Better Building Beautiful Commission “Living with Beauty” report. Here is a summary of the proposed amendments to the Framework:
- Implements policy changes in response to the Building Better Building Beautiful Commission recommendations
- Makes a number of changes to strengthen environmental policies – including those arising from our review of flood risk with Defra
- Includes minor changes to clarify policy in order to address legal issues
- Includes changes to remove or amend out of date material
- Includes an update to reflect a recent change made in a Written Ministerial Statement about retaining and explaining statues.
- Clarification on the use of Article 4 directions
The draft National Model Design Code provides detailed guidance on the production of design codes, guides and policies to promote successful design.
The government would like views on the National Model Design Code, in terms of
a) the content of the guidance
b) the application and use of the guidance
c) the approach to community engagement
The consultation will close at 11.45pm on 27 March 2021. You can find the consultation page here.